Some dog owners do not like taking their dogs to a dog groomer due to the fact that their beloved pets would not like that.
Others take dogs to groomers, but once they get home, they do not like the way the grooming was done so they pull out the scissors and “get the job done right” by themselves.
In both cases, they decide to groom their pets even though they are neither educated nor skilled to do that successfully.
This is the reason why we wanted to make these people even better groomers, by offering them a chance to take a look at the best dog grooming courses online which can help them get started and learn some tips and tricks related to dog grooming.
Even though, if you have a passion and desire to groom your dogs and your friends or family’s pets, you can do that without any certification, we would like to suggest that it is safer to have at least some kind of training and education in grooming services before you decide to start this business or work on strangers’ dogs.
5 Best Dog Grooming Courses Online
If you are into this profession, you probably already know that there are a number of grooming certification programs out there on the Intenet and it is difficult to choose the one that is the best.
Furthermore, you possibly have some other obligations, such as your job and family, so you cannot afford to go to classes and to pay expensive dog grooming schools.
The best thing we can tell you is that the following five online dog grooming courses can be done from your home and you can get certified in a matter of weeks or months.
This means that you start working as a certified dog groomer in no time.
- Penn Foster – Penn Foster has a grooming certificate program through which students get a thorough understanding of the grooming process, and even learn about customer service and business concerns, in case they decide to open their own facilities. The reason why Penn Foster is the first on our list is that it is a nationally and regionally accredited program, and the certificate you get has a greater reputation than others. The course is all online, and you will need $499 to get certified. Furthermore, students at Penn Foster get access to student services that can help you find a dog grooming position.
- Online Grooming School – The Online Grooming School offers an easy online and through the mail program. Students are allowed to choose between receiving 20 DVDs as well as all reading and test materials in the mail or streaming everything online. The DVD/streaming videos are designed so as to presents a new challenge for a dog groomer, as they will meet with them all the way through their career. Some of the challenges are hard-to-groom breed or what to do in case a dog gets cut, etc. The reasons why many people choose this program are that it provides two certifications: Pet Hygienist and Pet Groomer and it is quite affordable as it only costs $249. Considering the fact that not everyone can learn by watching videos online, but needs hands-on materials and tests, The Online Grooming School offers both.
- JKL Grooming– This is a program that lets you choose your course length, as it has two separate programs: the grooming diploma and the grooming certificate. In case you want to enter the grooming world, no matter if that will be as an employee in a dog-related facility or starting your own business, we recommend the diploma course. However, for those who already work as groomers, but are not certified, we suggest the certification course. During both of them, you will be taught the insider tips and tricks, and how to make your grooming services even more amazing. The school also boasts programs for larger animal grooming, like horses, which is great if dog groomers want to expand their horizons.
- Basics & Beyond– This program is designed for the pet owners who are eager to do the grooming of their pet at home, or for the entrepreneur who really wants to start a grooming business. At this school, you can expect thorough education in animal grooming, especially focusing on the handling aspects. This length of the program is about 8 to 12 weeks, and it is quite affordable as it only costs $325. The program is highly recommended to individuals who want to know how to professionally handle many different animals and how to properly groom specific breeds. This is one of the best dog grooming courses online.
- Groomadog Academy offers a few of the most customizable courses among the online dog grooming programs. Individuals who are interested in starting their own dog grooming salons can benefit from this program as Groomadog Academy has a course called “Comprehensive Business Pro.” On the other hand, if you want to know more about the different types of breeds and how to style or groom them, you should take the “Comprehensive All Breed Dog Grooming” course. These are completely different courses that will help you decide how you want to work, and they are all targeted specifically to dogs.
What You Need To Think About Before You Sign Up for Dog Grooming Courses Online
There are many things that you need to bear in mind when choosing one of the best dog grooming courses online:
- Make sure it matches your learning style and whether you can benefit from mail-in materials or computer screen classes.
- Make sure you have access to the teachers or instructors if you have questions.
- Make sure the payment is clear, due to the fact that there are no student loans for these types of certification programs.
- Review the curriculum and make sure it covers everything you want to learn;
- Make sure that a program you have chosen teaches about the exact areas you are interested in.
- Decide if online learning is right for you, as you can always choose to attend on-the-spot classes if you are serious about getting certified for grooming and online learning is not your cup of tea.
- Check out your state laws and requirements.